History

The merchant Alexander Bryukhanov built the two-story brick house in the modern historical Tyumen city centre crossing Respublika and Semakova Streets (earlier Tsarskaya and Podaruevskaya streets).
1886
Several organizations were located on the ground floor of the Bryukhanovs' house at different times: the crockery shop, lamp and furniture store.
1900
Vladimir Girman opened a "Moscow wallpaper store" in the Bryukhanovs' house.
1909
The printing house and the "Vestnik Zapadnoy Sibiri" journal editorial office started to work at the Bryukhanovs' place.
1910-1915
The limited partnership "Bryukhanov and Co" was created.
1911
The city’s first electrotheaters, "Royal-Bio" (1909 to 1911) and "Palace" (1914−1919), were working here.
1909-1919
Earlier, the printing equipment was located here. It belonged to the first Tyumen publisher Vysotsky.
1910-1917
The Tyumen-Turin party of the Tobolsk construction crew was located in this place.
1913
The women’s meeting was held in this building. More than 500 people attended it.
April 9, 1917
After the October Revolution of 1917, the Bryukhanov’s family left the city together with Kolchak’s troops.
1919
The Governor’s Office of the State Political Branch moved here.
1922
In 1930 NKVD was located here. The mass executions of Tyumen and the Tyumen region residents, arrested for political reasons, took place here in 1936−1938.
1930
After the USSR Ministry of State Security left the building, it was given to the Tyumen Pedagogical Institute for dormitory purposes.
1954
The reserve book repository of the Tyumen Pedagogical Institute library was located in several rooms and on the building ground floor.
1970-1980
The former Bryukhanov’s house was no longer used as the dormitory due to emergency conditions.
1990
The controversy surrounding the building continued unabated: hot debates, demonstrations, and provocative newspaper headlines called for preserving the historic monument and not destroying it.
The '90s
The economic crisis and the termination of the contract with the landlord led to demolishing the crumbling house and building a new one.
1998
On December 21, 2001, the UTMN Information and Library Center was officially opened.
2001
Today, the UTMN Library is a space for intellectual work, providing access to a wide range of services and opportunities.
Nowadays
1886
The merchant Alexander Bryukhanov built the two-story brick house in the modern historical Tyumen city centre crossing Respublika and Semakova Streets (earlier Tsarskaya and Podaruevskaya streets).
1900
Several organizations were located on the ground floor of the Bryukhanovs' house at different times: the crockery shop, lamp and furniture store.
1909
Vladimir Girman opened a "Moscow wallpaper store" in the Bryukhanovs' house.
1910-1915
The printing house and the "Vestnik Zapadnoy Sibiri" journal  editorial office started to work at the Bryukhanovs' place.
1911
The limited partnership "Bryukhanov and Co" was created.
1909-1919
The city’s first electrotheaters, "Royal-Bio" (1909 to 1911) and "Palace" (1914−1919), were working here.
1910-1917
Earlier, the printing equipment was located here. It belonged to the first Tyumen publisher Vysotsky.
1913
The Tyumen-Turin party of the Tobolsk construction crew was located in this place.
April 9, 1917
The women’s meeting was held in this building. More than 500 people attended it.
1919
After the October Revolution of 1917, the Bryukhanov’s family left the city together with Kolchak’s troops.
1922
The Governor’s Office of the State Political Branch moved here.
1930
In 1930 NKVD was located here. The mass executions of Tyumen and the Tyumen region residents, arrested for political reasons, took place here in 1936−1938.
1954
After the USSR Ministry of State Security left the building, it was given to the Tyumen Pedagogical Institute for dormitory purposes.
1970-1980
The reserve book repository of the Tyumen Pedagogical Institute library was located in several rooms and on the building ground floor.
1990
The former Bryukhanov’s house was no longer used as the dormitory due to emergency conditions.
The '90s
The controversy surrounding the building continued unabated: hot debates, demonstrations, and provocative newspaper headlines called for preserving the historic monument and not destroying it.
1998
The economic crisis and the termination of the contract with the landlord led to demolishing the crumbling house and building a new one.
2001
On December 21, 2001, the UTMN Information and Library Center was officially opened.
Nowadays
Today, the UTMN Library is a space for intellectual work, providing access to a wide range of services and opportunities.